Managing Discussions, Events, and Files in Communities
The main areas where your members will engage in a community are Discussions, Events, and Files. When creating your communities, your team should give additional thought to your content strategy, who will drive engagement, and what resources will be most valuable to your members. In this article we will cover how to post and manage your discussions, events, and files.
Discussions are one of the most important way to engage members in your community in an authentic way. There are also many ways to modify your discussion posts to make them more visual and interactive. You can embed videos, pictures, files, gifs, etc. To post a new discussion follow these steps:
- Create a new discussion Topic by clicking the + button in the top, right corner of your discussions tab.
- Update the title of your topic keeping in mind that the discussions tab is searchable. You’ll also need to update the Description section. Here you should include any contextual information, intro/outro text, and embedded videos, files, gifs, etc. When you’re done with your post, click the “Create Topic” button.
- To embed a video in your discussion topic place your cursor wherever you want your video to appear and click the hyperlink button. Paste the video link into the URL bar. You will see a button appear that says, “Looks like you are trying to add a video?” select “Yes, Add Video.”
- Your post will go live once you select “Create Topic” and members will be able to view it, comment on it, and flag the discussion or comments for admin review.
When commenting on a post, your members will be able to change the text attributes, upload documents, and share hyperlinks.
Community leaders can pin discussion topics to the top of the page for added visibility. These pins can be easily added or removed, and multiple topics can be pinned at once. In order to pin a discussion topic, click on the pin icon located on the righthand side of the discussion topic. To unpin a topic, simply click on the same pin icon, and it will remove the topic from the top of the page.
The Discussions tab enhances the user experience by compiling conversations taking place throughout the site into one feed. Topics and replies can be searched by keyword, and the feed can be filtered to show topics and replies across communities or within the communities that members have joined.
Creating a Community Event
Community Events act as a way to cross-post your in-person events and market to an interested and engaged group of members. We also like to use communities to share important upcoming deadlines that are relevant to your community members. To post a new event follow these steps:
- Click into the Events tab of your community. Here you will see any Upcoming and Past events.
Click the + button and add a new event. This will open a form where you can enter the details of your event. Give your event a Name and add the location, time and any extra information here. Update the title of your topic keeping in mind that the discussions tab is searchable. You’ll also need to update the Description section. Here you should include any contextual information, intro/outro text, and embedded videos, files, gifs, etc. When you’re done with your post, click the “Create Topic” button.
- If you are using another tool to track registrations, include a link to this site. The Description box is a rich-text editor so you can include flyers, videos or any other promotional marketing content you might want to include about the event.
- When you finish updating the information for the even, click Save. The event will then show up in the Upcoming tab as well as the site wide Events tab.
If you want to share files with a group of members on your site, your Communities are a great place to do that. Files are linkable throughout events and discussions, too. To upload files to your community, follow these steps:
- Click the Files tab inside your community and select the + button in the top right-hand corner. Select the file you’d like to upload.
- Once you've successfully uploaded a file into the files section of a community, it will show up in the Files tab and will be downloadable by all members of that community. You have the ability to rename files, replace documents with updated versions, and delete files from your community.