Inviting Members to Communities
Inviting members to join your site through communities acts as both: 1) An easy way inform members of the communities in your site, and 2) An engagement touchpoint that automatically associates members with others who share their interests. You can invite members who are already site members, as well as those who have yet to join your site.
There are two ways to invite members to your communities:
- Send an invitation directly from the community in your site
- Add members to a community and send an invitation elsewhere
Below we walk you through the two ways to invite members into the communities on your site.
To send an invitation directly from the community in your site:
- Start in the member-face side of your account and click into the community you want to invite users to join.
- Once you are inside the community, navigate to the Members tab and click the + icon in the top right corner.
Begin to type the name of the person you wish to invite and then select them from the drop-down menu or paste in a string of emails separated by a comma and hit Tab.
Make sure the button next to Automatically send invitations to new members is checked like it is below.
- Add a personal message to customize the invitation and give your invitees more context. When you're happy with your message and have added all of your invitees, click Invite Members.
- If they are already a member of your network, they can click the button in the invitation and will find the invitation waiting for them in the recommended communities section of their dashboard. If they are not a member of your network yet, the email will prompt them to walk through onboarding and create an account first. When they finish creating an account, these members will also see the invitation waiting for them on their dashboard.
Add members to a community and send an invitation elsewhere:
- Follow steps 1-3 above.
- Make sure the button next to Automatically send invitations to new members is unchecked like it is below. Click Invite Members. This will associate the community with your members’ pre-verification record/account but will not send an auto generated invite from the community. Members will still see this invitation notification in the recommend communities section of their dashboard.
From here, you can choose whichever way you would like to invite your members. Members can be invited by sending a single invitation to a pre-verified member, sending a bulk email campaign to pre-verified members, or allowing open signup and approving members.
For more about inviting members to your site, read Inviting New Members.
Note: You can add members to multiple communities before inviting them to the site.
Whether or not you send an invitation to your members, they will still see the invitation on their dashboard under Recommended Communities the next time they log into the site.